Sunday, April 09, 2006

GSAR Bio: Get to know Kay

We thought you might like to know a little bit more about the people behind the pets at GSAR, so we're starting a new biography feature. Occasionally we'll post an interview with one of GSAR's board members or volunteers. We couldn't think of a better place to start than with Kay Williams, the executive director!
_____________________________________________

What's your role with GSAR?
Founder/Executive Director

How long have you worked with GSAR?
Since it began in 2002.

How did you get started with GSAR?
After working with other rescues for a few years I decided that there were things about each that didn't sit well with me. God sent me two dogs who needed to be saved, and none of the rescues I worked with would help me, so I guess my hand was forced. I have no regrets. My passion is to help animals and people by bringing them together. Once you have loved and been loved by an animal you are changed forever.

Tell us about the humans who live in your home.
My sweet husband, Jim, is a human dog (and cat) bed. He likes things clean, organized and peaceful. Thankfully, he loves me more and understands that the animals that run, crawl, fly and jump through our lives need him as much as they need me. I honestly don't know how I'd do it without him.



Katy grew up knowing that her siblings had fur. She is proud of the work we do. She always wants the cute little kittens to stay with us, but her passion is gymnastics. She has tried fostering in her room, but decided she'd rather visit them in my office. Poor kid has allergies which we have to watch. She doesn't let that stop her snuggling the animals though! She just takes her medication and keeps right on going. That's my girl!



Tell us about the "permanent" pets in your home.
Lucy is a 19 year old Chihuahua. We got her 5 years ago after losing our three legged Chi mix, Missy. I had been browsing on Petfinder and her face broke my heart :



She had been abandoned, along with over 50 other dogs in a farmhouse outside Baltimore. A collector had locked the doors and walked away. The larger dogs were preying on the smaller ones to survive. Lucy survived because she was locked in a cat carrier where they couldn't get to her. She had been living in her own waste, though, and the fur was burned off her legs, tummy and ears. You can still see the scars in her ears. Every day with Lucy is a gift. She is sweet and gentle and expects the best in everyone. We are all very protective of her.

Todd is about 6 now. He is a Chocolate and tan miniature Dachshund. When a puppy mill was busted in western North Carolina, Todd was by far the most frightened. No one could touch him. They got him into a crate and transported him to me for rehabbing. Poor sweet Todd didn't know what grass was or what leaves were...Rain is terrifying. The wind is the worst part of all. For weeks I walked around the yard with him walking on two legs with his little paws wrapped around my wrist. Todd holds the 'honor' of being the only dog ever to escape from Glenmoore Veterinary Hospital. We spent 7 hours looking for him. The event culminated with 7 people chasing him up route 322 as he ran up the yellow line. Thank God we finally cornered him and caught him. After a year of working with poor Todd we reluctantly decided that he is simply unadoptable. We gave him sanctuary. He has come a long way in the 3 1/2 years we have had him. He will go outside...if I carry him. He can go up the stairs...but not down. Hearing the wind blow is enough to make him run for his hiding place behind the powder room toilet, but he is starting to join the pack to greet people who come to the door.



Then there is Mindy. She is a Min Pin/Chihuahua mix who had been the adored pet of a local older woman. When the woman moved to Florida Mindy went too. Soon the woman became ill and had to move into a nursing home. Mindy was sent north to live with relatives...the wrong ones. A sweet lady who knew Mindy from when she had first lived in PA heard about her plight and called GSAR. I took one look at Mindy's little face and I knew she was home. Mindy is about 8 years old now and takes her role as Alpha dog very seriously. She carefully inventories all toys and keeps them organized in her lair. She keeps track of Lucy and comes running to tell us is she needs anything. She sleeps with one eye open to guard the family through the night. The slightest noise from anywhere in the house and Mindy is up to investigate. I am sure she wonders how we ever survived without her!



Benjamin came to us as part of a 2-day-old litter of kittens found in a warehouse. His brother and sister died despite our efforts. All three of us decided that number 3 would NOT die. We all fed, medicated and cleaned the little guy around the clock. Mindy worried over him and came running to get us if he made any noises. There were times when we were worried that our efforts were wasted...but he pulled through! Young Ben is 6 months old now and completely fearless! We have geese on the property which he is sure he could catch and clean for dinner!



What's the funniest thing your pet does?
Oh my. Todd does what we call the 'Happy Dog Dance' when he is excited and wants something. It is like the thrill is more than his body can contain and he just sort of starts bouncing. His ears flap and he erupts in these little barks. Mindy guards her lair and keeps everything carefully inventoried. If you start going through her things she gets very nervous and makes little squeaks while closely monitoring your every move. When you are done she will take whatever time is needed to put everything back where it belongs. Benjamin carries little pieces of paper around the house. He will throw them for a while and chase after them, then pick them up and carry them again.

What's your favorite book/TV/movie pet and why?
I just finished reading Marley & Me by John Grogan so I'd have to say that Marley is my current favorite. People often want to know whether someone is a 'dog person' or a 'cat person'. I say I am an everything person. I enjoy the special traits of each animal for what they are. Marley wasn’t an 'easy' pet. But the Grogan family understood what made him special and were committed to sharing their lives with him. What made Marley special to them was his commitment to them and his innocent and exuberant joy for life.

2 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know she doesn't like to have her picture taken, but it would be nice to see what the woman at the top looks like these days...

JDW

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger Sheila said...

I took a picture of her at a meeting in February, and I considered using it with this article. But alas! Her eyes were closed, and I didn't think she'd appreciate it if I posted that pic on the internet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home